Help Needed: Bad Crystal in Tram D201A

This forum is dedicated to discussions about tube radios and tube amplifiers.
Jester

Help Needed: Bad Crystal in Tram D201A

Post by Jester »

Hi Folks,

The other night, a good radio friend of mine and I were trying to troubleshoot the fact that several channels on the radio had no rcv or xmit...After reviewing the situation, it appears that a 4.410 mHz crystal has gone bad which controls channels 2,6,10,14,18,22,27,32, and 37. Does anyone know where I can get one? My friend said he would help install it providing I can find it...any ideas? Thanks!
garyo
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by garyo »

drdx
Donor
Donor
Handle: dollar-98
Antenna: Many
Radio: Many-

Post by drdx »

Find out of JAN crystals is still in business. Search the web. If you don't find one, or them, I can check with an old school local shop here that has a healthy radio graveyard. -drdx
Yes it's me, Dollar-98, drdx, the original all maul, shot cawla on workin this no-fade technology.

-drdx
Popcorn501

Post by Popcorn501 »

Look up Greg Barkett at Barkett Electronics he is the guru on trams and brownings
Jester

Post by Jester »

Gentlemen,

So far I have emailed JAN in Florida but they haven't answered yet...it's still early though...Greg at Barkett is kinda far away, and the 1st link you guys sent me has the crystal for 14.99, with a 20$ minimum. Thats not so bad.

My only concern is getting a soldering iron that is grounded as I dont want to blow any FETs on or near the crystal card, that would be lame...
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

Hi Jester,
As long as the soldering iron you use has the third ground prong on the plug you will be okay. These type of soldering irons are grounded. Good luck with your project... :wink:

Forgot to mention: The soldering iron must be plugged into a three prong (grounded) outlet - don't use an adapter to plug it into a two prong outlet or you will be defeating the ground unless the adapter ground tab is secured under the screw that holds the outlet cover on...
Save Your Money, Don't Go To The Show
And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow...Frank Zappa
------------
WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu
Jester

Post by Jester »

22-0,

Unfortunately, all I have are Weller and/or Radio Shack cheap-o's that are maybe 40 watts at best. I was thinking of unplugging the desoldering iron when it gets hot to melt the solder to get the crystal out, and do the same thing with a 2-prong pencil soldering iron. Would this prevent any damage to the FETs on board? Just an idea....

Otherwise, I am thinking grounded soldering irons may be expensive...But they sound like a necessity...
TwentyTwo-Zero
Donor
Donor

Post by TwentyTwo-Zero »

You might get away with using the desolder iron, but (if it's the one Rat Shack sells) I'd be careful with it since it's 45 watts. If you don't mind adding another iron to the collection, the Rat Shack 64-2051 is a grounded tip 15 watter that runs about $9
Save Your Money, Don't Go To The Show
And Don't You Eat That Yellow Snow...Frank Zappa
------------
WR0220 Washington State 38LSB
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu
4 cycle
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 4 CYCLE
Radio: MESSENGER 223

CRYSTELS

Post by 4 cycle »

KENS ELECTRONICS!!
rev ike
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Help Needed: Bad Crystal in Tram D201A

Post by rev ike »

Jester wrote:Hi Folks,

The other night, a good radio friend of mine and I were trying to troubleshoot the fact that several channels on the radio had no rcv or xmit...After reviewing the situation, it appears that a 4.410 mHz crystal has gone bad which controls channels 2,6,10,14,18,22,27,32, and 37. Does anyone know where I can get one? My friend said he would help install it providing I can find it...any ideas? Thanks!
Just in case you are unaware :the channel selector also goes bad on these models and makes the crystals appear bad ,I have a question can you tx& rx on the VFO side of this radio? I have many questions but this post is a few days old I dont know if you got it fixed already.
MAY THE LIFE I LIVE SPEAK FOR ME!
Jester

Post by Jester »

I have been told about the channel selectors going bad, however it leads me to believe that the x101 crystal is out because the channels controlled by x101 are non-functional. I am going to bring the unit by a friends house this week (maybe today) to have him look it over, and we shall see...
warlock35po
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Warlock35Po
Call Sign: VE1CSP
Antenna: Beam and/2 wave Dipole
Radio: Kenwood 570 D G

Re: Help Needed: Bad Crystal in Tram D201A

Post by warlock35po »

Hello Jasper,just wondering if you ever got the Tram fixed.I could be wrong but my D 201A crystals each one only controls I think 5 or six adjacent Chanel groups.I know this is an OLD post.Just curious.Regards,warlock35po