Alternator Wiring

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
Yuenger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy 959

Alternator Wiring

Post by Yuenger »

Hey ya'll,

So I picked up a 220 Amp Alternator (Stock 110) for my '97 Mercury Villager because I am going to install a Dave Made 2x4. I always figured the battery went straight to the Alternator however turn out it goes Alternator, to a fuse box, and then the battery. I'm not really sure what to do here and I'm wondering if I should bypass the fuse box and put on an inline fuse or I'm not really sure. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Deleted User 14541

Re: Alternator Wiring

Post by Deleted User 14541 »

Dodge used a similar method. Alt to fuse panel to battery. When I upgraded the alt I left the factory cable disconnected and ran a heavy cable straight to the battery. It works fine but being a different vehicle your results may vary. If you do this be sure to wrap the end of the stock cable with tape and secure it, or remove the fuse. It will still be hot and could short out.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Some Chevy's are the same way...

Just disconnect the cable going from alternator to fuse box, but leave the cable going from battery back to fuse box...Then just run a new cable from alternator to battery...

Either do like 543FtWorth said and tape up the cable going from Alt. to fuse box, or remove it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Yuenger
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Antenna: Wilson 5000
Radio: Galaxy 959

Post by Yuenger »

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try and let you know how that works out.