Installed base antenna

Let's just talk skip... a great place to join the prestigious CB radio Hall of Fame.
Bman
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Antron 99
Radio: Many

Installed base antenna

Post by Bman »

Well my Saturday went well a Few of my friends came out to the country where I live and helped me put up my base antenna. I recently moved and was missing my buddies 20 some odd miles away. I could hear the bigger stations but couldn't get back to them. So we got together and put the antenna in a tree that was topped must have been a 60 footer but 20ft was cut off it making a nice little crows nest. My buddy The Chief 336 is our resident antenna monkey 20ft of thick walled pipe and an Antron 99 made for a very heavy pull up into the tree (we're not getting any younger LOL) with The Chief up the tree he managed to set the base of the pipe on a branch. I scaled the tree with a rope tied to my belt and pulled some ratchet straps up. After dancing the whole affair around to get it as vertical as possible we ratchet strapped it to the tree. It ended up 50 ft to the base of the antenna. my buddy Dan hooked his van up to it was talking Windsor Ontario within 2 minutes. Needless to say I was a happy camper. Well my buddies were not going away till I hooked up a radio. I have a little storage shed right under the tree we put the antenna in. So out came the power supply and a 2510 with a road devil mic on it and I heard nothing :pale: I waited a few moments and heard QSK I said go ahead QSK the guy said he thought I was one of his buddies and then told him where I was and he replied 351 Anchorage Alaska mobile I was very happy. So The Chief got back to his base and I hit him @ 9 S Units with nice audio , in fact most of the guys said I was doing about 9 S Units to that general area some 20 miles away. No it's not the 30 S Units I used to do. But hey I like living in the country better than the city :biggrin: Bman/Dave
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: Boogieman
Antenna: 2ft Wire hanger
Radio: RCI 2950 Mirage

Re: Installed base antenna

Post by »

Hey Dave..

Sounds like a good install and it's great to have others help.

Bombero
Official Moderator - CBRT Complaints Department
We encourage all users to support our sponsors. We believe our sponsors are the best out there.
Be sure to tell them you saw their name on CBRadioTalk.
Support our fine sponsors!

383 Boogieman

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Sounds good, Maybe I'll hear you on if you get on 38 or 39 LSB, I usually hear some skip from your area in the evenings.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
bigdaddy-351
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Handle: Big daddy 351

Post by bigdaddy-351 »

Yeah b man it’s Brian here 351 that is here in anchorage Alaska. I was on my mobile , galaxy 95 t with a 102 inch whip with a ground plane kit, 18 feet of Lomar 240 . Hope to hear you all when the skip starts rolling in ! Cheers!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Cutlass327
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: Rick
Radio: Galaxy

Post by Cutlass327 »

I remember hearing a 24 or 21 in Anchorage the other day, thinking there was another from up there too - maybe you 351 - here in NE Ohio, but too many were trying for them, so I gave up.
Blue Ox2
Donor
Donor
Handle: Blue Ox
Call Sign: KC3LAV
Antenna: DR-Dipole, Copper "J"-Pole, IMax 2000, MFJ 1740, and a "Slinky" 40M dipole
Radio: President McKinley&Washington+142GTL Direct Injected by Leadfoot Labs

Post by Blue Ox2 »

Looks great Bman. Hope to hear you in there from
the Heart of Lancaster County in the Keystone State.

It's good you have someone that can do the climbin' fer ya.

Mike

How do you do from Blue Ox2
KPA223 on the Galaxy DX 2517
American Eagle SSB Group * AE1582
The World Radio Club * 2WR1582
Lititz, PA (2013 "Coolest Small Town in America")