Scanner for CB SSB?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
JimboBowie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: Jimbo

Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by JimboBowie »

Is/was there a scanning receiver that covers SSB for CB? I know there are plenty that cover AM & FM, but I'm particularly interested in scanning SSB.

Note: I'm not looking for a scanning transceiver.

I'm not fussed about form factor: desk/mobile/handheld.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by MDYoungblood »

To my knowledge there isn't a receive scanner that ever did SSB in any form. You said you weren't interested in transceivers but most new ham radios have a scan feature.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JimboBowie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by JimboBowie »

MDYoungblood wrote: August 5th, 2020, 1:34 pm To my knowledge there isn't a receive scanner that ever did SSB in any form. You said you weren't interested in transceivers but most new ham radios have a scan feature.
Yes, as I have a boatload of transceivers, I'm not looking for another one.

I am aware of the multifunction WinRadio SDR recievers, but they need to be attached to a computer.

I guess I was hoping that there might have been a Tandy, or similar, scanner that did SSB, although gooling around I haven't been able to find one, hence my question here.
BikePacker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Rip
Antenna: 5/8 whip ground mounted.
Radio: Cobra148GTL

Post by BikePacker »

JimboBowie wrote: August 6th, 2020, 12:15 am Yes, as I have a boatload of transceivers...
This string has prompted me to wonder sumpin....
If I am scanning AM, subject to the quality of the scanner,
will I likely stop on SSB conversations
even tho the conversations would be anticipated to sound warbled/daffy-duck-esque?
I typically scan via a Bearcat and have never knowingly stopped on an SSB,
but that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about.
Might well have stopped on SSB traffic and just punched out over it as it was not discernible/dunno.
For further context ... I'd add that via an ICOM 7000 whereby I have scanned specifically for LSB CB frequency conversations, I have never picked one up either.
Your thoughts? Thx.
What if the "hokie-pokie" really is "...what it's all about!" ? ? ?
hippieman556
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Handle: hippieman556

Post by hippieman556 »

i often wondered about that while using a regular scanner
JimboBowie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by JimboBowie »

BikePacker wrote: August 6th, 2020, 5:27 am If I am scanning AM, subject to the quality of the scanner,
will I likely stop on SSB conversations
even tho the conversations would be anticipated to sound warbled/daffy-duck-esque?
I typically scan via a Bearcat and have never knowingly stopped on an SSB,
but that doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about.
Might well have stopped on SSB traffic and just punched out over it as it was not discernible/dunno.
I guess it depends on how the particular scanner decides that it has detected a station's signal. In order to hear the contents of an SSB signal, the receiver needs the capability to re-insert the carrier.
For further context ... I'd add that via an ICOM 7000 whereby I have scanned specifically for LSB CB frequency conversations, I have never picked one up either.
Your thoughts? Thx.
Possibly a case of no one on SSB at the time. Should be easy enough to check by arrangement with a local CB buddy.
BikePacker
Donor
Donor

Post by BikePacker »

JimboBowie wrote: August 7th, 2020, 12:33 am Possibly a case of no one on SSB at the time. Should be easy enough to check by arrangement with a local CB buddy.
Yup.... thx .... that'd provide the ultimate 'proof-positive.'
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The latter is correct, back in the day to receive a SSB signal the SWL radio had a BFO (Beat Frequency Oscillator) to hear the transmission. The more model scanners might have that capability for SSB but I personally doubt it since they mainly only receive a FM signal (some have AM for aircraft) and the new utility trunking systems local government uses. You could fashion a 100mw HT for CB to act as a BFO, remove the antenna and replace it with a 50Ω resistor, with a little playing with the TX coils you can get them fairly widebanded on TX.

3's

Greg

TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cobra Ball
Radio: Pace 8046, Roadtalker 40's, Teaberry Stalker IX, GE 3-5814A

Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by TNT1450 »

The thing is that it's not that easy to scan SSB signals. Some SSB signals can be very weak and under the squelch threshold for the scanner, so it will likely miss them. But yes, if an SSB signal is strong enough then a scanner will stop on the channel, even if the scanner is in AM mode.

There have been some super wide band scanners in the past which go down to the AM broadcast band (actually more a wideband receiver than a scanner) but most of them are AM-only on the HF band, though there have been some which will tune SSB. I don't know of any particular models, but I remember seeing some back in the 90's but were out of my price range. The problem also was, back then, those wideband receivers suffered in sensitivity and selectivity. They weren't really meant to be DX machines, but just something which you could listen to fairly strong signals. I have no idea how they performed at scanning SSB signals.

My Icom R75 HF receiver will scan in SSB mode, but again I've never really used that function so I can't say how well it performs at scanning SSB. I imagine any tabletop HF receiver with a scan function and enough channels would work as an SSB scanner, but they're not cheap or portable.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by MDYoungblood »

You might want to look into SDR, it shows a signal on a particular band. Just click on the signal to receive the broadcast.

3’s

Greg

BikePacker
Donor
Donor

Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by BikePacker »

TNT1450 wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 7:21 am The thing is that it's not that easy to scan SSB signals. Some SSB signals can be very weak and under the squelch threshold for the scanner, so it will likely miss them. But yes, if an SSB signal is strong enough then a scanner will stop on the channel, even if the scanner is in AM mode.
Thank you TNT.
TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cobra Ball
Radio: Pace 8046, Roadtalker 40's, Teaberry Stalker IX, GE 3-5814A

Scanner for CB SSB?

Post by TNT1450 »

MDYoungblood wrote: December 3rd, 2020, 9:23 pm You might want to look into SDR, it shows a signal on a particular band. Just click on the signal to receive the broadcast.

3’s

Greg
I love using my SDR. No need to scan frequencies, just look at the band you want to monitor and you can see all the active frequencies in real time. And if you can't listen to them all, record the spectrum and go back and review the traffic on each active frequency.
OldSoul
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: OldSoul
Antenna: RoadPro RP-707 36"
Radio: trc 241

Post by OldSoul »

Uniden 990SSB scans, might check it out.
JimboBowie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by JimboBowie »

OldSoul wrote: August 13th, 2021, 5:11 pm Uniden 990SSB scans, might check it out.
Did you mean to type 980SSB?
nosaj
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: nosaj
Radio: cobra 29 ltd

Post by nosaj »

What about a tecsun pl-368? i have one.
TECSUN PL-368 is a portable PLL DSP multiband receiver with SSB and Synchronous Detection. It offers Tecsun's new ETM+ feature which gives the possibility of setting up time-specific memories for longwave, medium wave (AM) and shortwave.
nosaj
N1EBC
JimboBowie
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by JimboBowie »

nosaj wrote: August 27th, 2021, 2:24 pm What about a tecsun pl-368? i have one.
TECSUN PL-368 is a portable PLL DSP multiband receiver with SSB and Synchronous Detection. It offers Tecsun's new ETM+ feature which gives the possibility of setting up time-specific memories for longwave, medium wave (AM) and shortwave.
nosaj
N1EBC
Interesting.

I have Tecsun PL-365 which is a very nice radio. The PL-368 is worth a look at, for sure.
nosaj
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: nosaj
Radio: cobra 29 ltd

Post by nosaj »

The 368 difference is you can direct entry a frequency I got mine in orange easy to find when its hurricane season so I can monitor the hurricane nets.

nosaj
N1EBc