Cobra 29 LTD Chrome base station antenna options?

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
Bigtimber69
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Cobra 29 LTD Chrome base station antenna options?

Post by Bigtimber69 »

Trying to get a base station up and running before things go south. All I really need is about a 150 mile range, but could make it on 120 miles. Looking at the Saturn B-100 No Ground-Plane CB Antenna. Any suggestions as to options to meet the minimum 50 feet of coax requirement? Provided I can meet that requirement, what are my chances of getting at least 120 miles range with a Cobra 29 LTD Chrome with RG 213 cable? Was looking for the Classic version of the 29, but found the Chrome to be less expensive. Thanks in advance.
Bigtimber69
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Re: Cobra 29 LTD Chrome base station antenna options?

Post by Bigtimber69 »

My house has a well-grounded metal roof. Could I ground the antenna to the roof? I could also run another ground wire to the grounding rod.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Bigtimber69, welcome to the forum, you should make a post here to get your count started,

[Please login or register to view this link]

As for your questions, look for a better antenna, the one you asked about is very limited on bandwidth and only good for a couple miles at best, the coax choice is fine for a 50ft length, could go over 100ft with it if needed, there is no difference between the Classic and Chrome radios.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bigtimber69
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Bigtimber69 »

Thanks, Greg. Looks like I will be going with an A99 at this point, unless someone has a better bang for the buck option. Am also considering a ground plane kit if needed to have a minimum of a 120 mile radius. I bought a used Dell DC220P-01 12V, 18 amp power supply, plus another as a spare. I believe all I have left to purchase is some RG213 coax, and the antenna itself. Looks like an A99 is about the best way to go on that. Just one more question I hope. Would I need a mast to get to a 120 mile range, or would I be fine with just the A99? Thanks again.

Would also appreciate any other suggestions.

Take care and stay safe.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Thanks for making a post in the "Welcome" section.

The Solarcon A-99 is a better choice than that other mentioned but for the price look at the Sirio brand, a ground plane antenna would suit you much better. The ground plane kit for the A-99 to me was always just an afterthought, if it was beneficial it would come with it, I can't justify the additional cost either. You will need a mast, not sure where you are planning to install it but with any antenna, the higher the better. You will be hard pressed to get 120 miles out of most antennas except maybe a beam but during skip conditions, distance isn't a problem.

Not sure about the Dell PS's, if they are adjustable get them up to 13.8 volts, the radio will function better at that, I hope they aren't noisy but you will find out the moment you turn the radio on.

There is a lot of info here on the forum about most questions you might run across, just search for it or ask, we enjoy helping out.

3's

Greg`
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department