pickup antenna location/setup

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
cdj85
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: 454
Antenna: firestik
Radio: uniden 520/78

pickup antenna location/setup

Post by cdj85 »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and not much experience setting these up. Was hoping for some info on where to mount the firestik antenna. I currently have it on a fender/hood mount on the driver side with the firering coax but seems noisy. I was wondering if it would be better to rig up a backrack with about a sq ft plate welded to it to mount the antenna to or leave it on the fender. I have ground straps on the doors, hood, exhaust, bed to cab and frame (but only in 1 spot, not all 4 corners yet). I have a 3ft antenna for clearance but have a 4 ft on order. Would that extra foot make a difference? I know the roof is the best but trying to avoid drilling holes in the roof. For what it's worth, the radio is a cheap uniden 520, and the one I put in the work truck is a uniden 78.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: pickup antenna location/setup

Post by jessejamesdallas »

Yep...although I did drill enough holes in the roof of my suburban to make it look like swiss cheese, I decided not to go that route with my old Tacoma, and instead fab'ed-up a riser out of some scrap 1" square steel tubing I had lying around...built this probably 5 years ago or better, and been using it ever since.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cdj85
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by cdj85 »

I was thinking of building a backrack and welding a 1/8" or so metal plate to go over the roof. Is it a problem if it sticks higher than the roof for the coax clearance? Right now it seems too much static on the radio. I've tested the antenna/cable for shorts and opens and it's fine. What else is there to do to help that? I've tuned the antenna but can't remember the values.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

It can be higher sure...But the higher you go...the antenna will be whacking more stuff.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
cdj85
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by cdj85 »

I wasn't too worried about hitting stuff until I go hunting. That's when I'd put a shorter antenna on. I checked the levels and was getting 2:1 on 1/40 and 1.5:1 on 20 with the 3 ft antenna (fender mount). I put on a 4 ft and was able to get 1.5:1 on 1/40 and 1.3:1 on 20. Seems a tad better than before. I just think it may get even better if I do the rack thing. What else is there to do to get the swr down lower? I'm not looking to do the skip thing, just a clearer receive.
jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor

cdj85 wrote: January 20th, 2023, 7:28 pm I wasn't too worried about hitting stuff until I go hunting. That's when I'd put a shorter antenna on. I checked the levels and was getting 2:1 on 1/40 and 1.5:1 on 20 with the 3 ft antenna (fender mount). I put on a 4 ft and was able to get 1.5:1 on 1/40 and 1.3:1 on 20. Seems a tad better than before. I just think it may get even better if I do the rack thing. What else is there to do to get the swr down lower? I'm not looking to do the skip thing, just a clearer receive.
get a longer (adjustable) antenna...a adjustable stinger on the antenna will let you custom tune the antenna in more mounting locations...antennas tend to tune differently mounted in different locations on the vehicle...If you get a antenna tuned on the front fender, then move the antenna to the roof, you will need to re-tune the antenna since your ground plane will change.

Sure they make short CB antennas, but don't expect a 3' to tune like a 6 -7- or 9' antenna...just not going to happen...plus shorter you go, the less efficient the antenna will be...less receive, less distance, but they do tune well enough so you won't blow the radio, and still be able to talk a few miles.

When it comes to CB antennas..."Taller the Better" is always going to be the rule of thumb...just no getting around it.