Tuning the "Little Wil"

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
zachy_je
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Tuning the "Little Wil"

Post by zachy_je »

I am new to the CB Radio world. However, I have done a lot of research. I bought a Cobra 25 LTD Classic CB Radio and a "Little Wil" Wilson Antenna. I also bought an SWR Meter from Radio Shack. According to my research, if your SWR reading on Channel 40 is higher than the reading on Channel 1, your antenna is too long. This was my case. I've been shortening my antenna by about 1/8" at a time. This is working great for Channel 40. On Channel 40, I started out at over 3 in the "red zone" and now I am at just over 2.5. My problem comes with Channel 1. It has been moving up the scale instead of down. On Channel 1, I started out at just under 1.5 and now I am at just below 2.5. So far I would say I've removed about 1/2" from the antenna. Any advice would be helpful. Do I keep cutting the antenna shorter and hope it levels out under 1.5? Or is there another issue?

Re: Tuning the "Little Wil"

Post by 231 »

zachy_je wrote:I am new to the CB Radio world. However, I have done a lot of research. I bought a Cobra 25 LTD Classic CB Radio and a "Little Wil" Wilson Antenna. I also bought an SWR Meter from Radio Shack. According to my research, if your SWR reading on Channel 40 is higher than the reading on Channel 1, your antenna is too long. This was my case. I've been shortening my antenna by about 1/8" at a time. This is working great for Channel 40. On Channel 40, I started out at over 3 in the "red zone" and now I am at just over 2.5. My problem comes with Channel 1. It has been moving up the scale instead of down. On Channel 1, I started out at just under 1.5 and now I am at just below 2.5. So far I would say I've removed about 1/2" from the antenna. Any advice would be helpful. Do I keep cutting the antenna shorter and hope it levels out under 1.5? Or is there another issue?
Hi zachy_je and welcome to the forum.

The Lil-Wil is fairly narrow banded because it's so small. About all you can do with it is split the difference and try to get it as low as possible in the center of the band...around channel 19 or 20 usually. What many do is simply tune it for the frequency they hang out on the most, too. If channel 1 is about the same as channel 40 and your "dip point" is in the middle, then that's about as good as it's going to get with that antenna.

Hope that helps.
zachy_je
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by zachy_je »

231 wrote: Hi zachy_je and welcome to the forum.

The Lil-Wil is fairly narrow banded because it's so small. About all you can do with it is split the difference and try to get it as low as possible in the center of the band...around channel 19 or 20 usually. What many do is simply tune it for the frequency they hang out on the most, too. If channel 1 is about the same as channel 40 and your "dip point" is in the middle, then that's about as good as it's going to get with that antenna.

Hope that helps.
I am getting a reading of 1.6 on Channel 19. From what I've read, optimal is below a 1.0, an okay reading is 1.5 - 1.0, and a poor signal is 2.0 - 1.5. If this is correct, should I be looking for another antenna? Or will I be okay with my reading?

Post by 231 »

zachy_je wrote: I am getting a reading of 1.6 on Channel 19. From what I've read, optimal is below a 1.0, an okay reading is 1.5 - 1.0, and a poor signal is 2.0 - 1.5. If this is correct, should I be looking for another antenna? Or will I be okay with my reading?
To answer your question as directly as I can, it should be okay. Typically acceptable is 2.0:1 or under.

Now, to get a little more in depth in a general way for you, unless you are going to step up to a less compromising antenna, then save your money. The Lil-Wil works about as well as any 3' base loaded antenna out there. For what it is, actually doesn't do too bad. However, the closer to a full 1/4 wave (8-1/2 foot or so) you go, the less compromising the antenna will become. There are a few designs out there that are shorter and work as well as a 1/4 wave whip does, but they are still much larger than what you have (at least 5').

So really, part of what you need to understand is "Optimal" and "3 foot CB antenna" don't usually go hand in hand. For your SWR you really are merely matching the antenna to make the radio happy more than anything. The difference in performance from a 2.0 to a 1.6 isn't going to be all that noticeable. So just get it as low as you can and enjoy it for now if I may suggest. Down the road maybe you can consider a less compromised (bigger) antenna that will tune easier and better? Certainly it's likely to perform better too...but that's where I'm going with this. In the antenna world, bigger usually is better. There just isn't any technology that'll change that fact either. The more efficient the antenna is, usually the better it'll perform (and often tune).

Hope that helps you consider the bigger picture, not just the standing wave.
4 cycle
Skipshooter
Skipshooter
Handle: 4 CYCLE
Radio: MESSENGER 223

Post by 4 cycle »

DoubleD
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by DoubleD »

If you must run a mag mount and want to later down the road of getting another one I would suggest the wilson 1000. A lot of people run them and i havent heard anything bad about them
Connex 3300HP
Road King 56 mic
Fatboy 1x2
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

I ended up taking about 2 1/2 inches off my little wil to get it in line, yes, over 2 inches off, but its low across the band now.

Just take a little at a time, dont go chopping too much off.

Snowman
Roosterbeard
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Midland 13-888B

Post by Roosterbeard »

My Little Wil started way too long, as well, and I also had to keep cutting away until I finally got it where I felt good (under 1:5 at both ends) and have it bottomed out in the slot.

If you started out at just under 1:5, that's not bad for that short of an antenna but I understand your problem, as I had the same issue for a while. Have you tried moving it around some different locations on the car, as well? Mine gives a different SWR reading with every different little location, and I found out where I wanted it to be wasn't exactly where it wanted to be. Oh the joy of cb radio!
zachy_je
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by zachy_je »

Thanks for all your help and information guys! I'll let you know if I have any more questions. But for right now, everything seems to be going well. Thanks again!
Roger224
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Radio: Browning Mark IV

Post by Roger224 »

As reported they are very narrow because of their size. I have one that was set up[shortened] one inch and worked for that owner at 35 inches on channel 33. The length stock I believe is 36 inches. I got no acceptable swr on channel 1 with that 35 inch stinger till I found another and replaced the 35 with a 36 and set it up fairly high on the mount from the load[longer] . So on a smaller antenna such as this one inch means a lot.
Browning Mark IV
Browning Mark II
Cobra 2000 GTL
Polytronics Poly-Comm
Galaxy DX 2517
Stryker 447 HPC
pierrega
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Pierrega

Post by pierrega »

Me on my Little Will i have a swr of :
Ch 1 = 1.9
Ch 20 = 1.0 - 1.1
Ch 40 = 1.9
After many trying this is the optimum i can do.
Do you think it is correct for this antenna ?
SEE LESS ADS BY DONATING $10 OR MORE...