PRESIDENT fm cb radios

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
trx680
Donor
Donor

PRESIDENT fm cb radios

Post by trx680 »

So President is the only one making CBs with FM.
Anyone come across any CB shops that are TUNING these President radio?

Anyone here used one of their FM radios?
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Hi trx680
The new President radios with FM are FCC approved !
Any radio shop should be able to tune it up.
There are a couple older model radios out there that have FM !!
Just look around on Ebay and you will see them although I couldnt tell you the name or model of them !!

WW1
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

It’s funny, Cobra was the one started a petition to the FCC for FM acceptance and they don’t have a radio out yet. There are only a few radio’s but give it time FM will catch on. Now FM is a completely different mode, you will be able to mod it for that nice warm soft modulation but the radios won’t swing wattage like AM.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
jessejamesdallas
Verified
Donor
Donor

Post by jessejamesdallas »

trx680 wrote: November 17th, 2022, 4:09 pm So President is the only one making CBs with FM.
Anyone come across any CB shops that are TUNING these President radio?

Anyone here used one of their FM radios?
Don't waste your money having some shop "tune" one of the President radios...There's really nothing that needs to be done to one right out of the box, other than opening up the modulation to 100% and maybe adjusting the SSB output a little...

On the President McKinley the AMC pot is easy to find for opening up the modulation...just hook up a power meter and turn it till it peaks...if you turn it too far all that happens is the modulation drops back down (there's no stopping point which is why you need a power meter to watch)....

The SSB output pot is pretty close to the AMC...just turn the ALC pot like you did the AMC for modulation, only watch your power meter and don't go much more than 12 watts for SSB...It can go as high as 20+ watts, but you won't sound that good on ssb that high...

Here's a link to CB Magazine doing a tune-up on the McKinley...adjustments to the pots start around 25:00 into the video.

I did this with my President McKinley several years ago, and get more complements with the set-up, than with any other radio I have ever had...I have mine hooked up with a 1x2 amp for more power, so I'm seeing around 400w out...Nothing else done to the radio...opened up the modulation from 75% (factory set) to 100%, and SSB set to 12w.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Lost Ram
Donor
Donor

Post by Lost Ram »

I hope the FCC turns Yaesu C4FM Mode loose on the HF ham bands, legally you can only use it on 10M and it sounds so good. Issue its more then 3kc's wide so its frowned upon use on other bands but, heck plenty of Hams with the audio gear additions are way more then 4-5 wide. This c4fm is digital mode on the FT-911(a) rigs.
CB: TRC-450, Imax
Ham: FTDX101MP, FT-991A ,FT8900-2 meter crossband rig
Ham Antennas: 570', 500', wire loops, 2M Copper Slim Jim X2, CG-144 mobile
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government. So let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so that the second will not become the legal version of the first."
Thomas Jefferson.
Aughtry
Donor
Donor

Post by Aughtry »

Old thread, but I haven't been here in a while! As an off-road vehicle sort, I can say that if your group is still using CB, or would like to revive it for off-road use, the President Bill II FCC with AM/FM is a nice little radio. About the size of 2 packs of cigarettes, and not much heavier, with a downward facing speaker can easily be mounted the the headliner. Paired with a President Iowa base loaded antenna that simply whips out of the way against any branch, it's a great fit. The new FM aspect makes it a much better option than older AM only CB's for short range group communications. I tell you this from experience.

That said...I also have 2 other radios in the truck for different frequencies. This little radio at a basic 40 channels and 4 watts is an impressive new CB for the off-road genre. I really like it.

Carry On!
Aughtry 7 double-deuce waivin' atcha from Prisontown, TX
President Bill II FCC AM/FM with President Iowa antenna
Yaesu FTM-400 with Larsen NMO2/70B antenna
Yaesu FT-891 with various antennas
Tex.Proud on IG
Amateur - K4TXN
GMRS - WQZF521
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

So as of December 2023, I see being lazy and just searching ( edited by CBRT staff ) for AM / FM CB Radio models from some company called Radiooddity I have never heard of, Cobra, Uniden, and of course President. I believe it was Cobra and Uniden that were pushing the FCC to approve FM on the CB service. There is only one FCC approved AM / SSB / FM radio on the market right now that I am aware of though, and that is the President McKinley II FCC. I have wanted a President radio for years, and the AM / SSB / FM got me to jump....
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

What exactly did you jump at ??
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

dbhost wrote: December 9th, 2023, 12:41 pm So as of December 2023, I see being lazy and just searching Amazon for AM / FM CB Radio models from some company called Radiooddity I have never heard of, Cobra, Uniden, and of course President. I believe it was Cobra and Uniden that were pushing the FCC to approve FM on the CB service. There is only one FCC approved AM / SSB / FM radio on the market right now that I am aware of though, and that is the President McKinley II FCC. I have wanted a President radio for years, and the AM / SSB / FM got me to jump....
FM has been approved for a while but the manufacturer's are getting rid of old stock first so a lot of the dealers don't have them on the shelf. The conversion radios aren't type accepted but there is plenty of them that are FM ready.
The McKinley is a nice radio, think you will be happy with it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

I mentioned I think it was my introduce yourself thread, that I've had a Realistic TRC-465 (basically a Uniden PC122, not a bad radio at all, but it is quite long in the tooth and spent a few too many years in a Jeep with no top... I started this camper van build and with FM being a new thing, figured I would go for it. I kept holding out for Uniden to put out basically a Bearcat 980ssb with FM but nope... I never thought a President radio with premium features would be in my price range, but black friday deals on ( Edited by CBRT staff ) and I have it mounted up in my van now. I always drooled over President radios in years past, fantastic audio on them, and enough features to keep a teenager busy instead of a fidget toy...
295 antenna
Verified

Post by 295 antenna »

There are some fm clubs out there but I'm not hearing them. I'm checking though. Listen for 2950 on sideband. That's where I hang out
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

Still waiting on my coax to be deliered. Not like in the old days when I could run down to the local electronics parts house and get coax and ends off the shelf... No more Radio Shack, no more Electronic Parts Outlet, not even a Frys to go to... Bleh.
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

dbhost.
I have edited your posts.

WW1
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

Windwalker1,

It must have been the forum software changing text to links. I didn't think I was allowed to post links yet. Not intending to anyway... I will post the link to the radio when I reach the blessed post count...

I get it, I manage a woodworking forum and have to do this stuff too.
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

I understand
Thanx

WW1
295 antenna
Verified

Post by 295 antenna »

I miss radio shack
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950