Cobra 25 Ltd classic won't transmit or receive

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Dxland
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Rowdy

Cobra 25 Ltd classic won't transmit or receive

Post by Dxland »

I got a Cobra 25 ltd classic that I've used off an on for several years and worked great. I plugged it in the other day and used it for a few minutes and i smelt wires burning. I unplugged it and took the lids off and didn't see anything unusual. So i pluged it back in. It started smoking from the back side of the copper coil that's in the T1 spot. In between the copper coil and the back of the radio. The wires on the coil was cracking and popping and was really hot. I unplugged it as quick as I could. Now it wont transmit or receive. It's been modified and it talked extremely good. It's been turned up and tuned. D9 has been cut and a couple jumper wires with what looks like transistors on the wire. Hard to tell because it has heat shrink over them. It also has talk back. Idk what to start checking first.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Cobra 25 Ltd classic won't transmit or receive

Post by MDYoungblood »

Smoking is a sign of old capacitors giving out and it is hard to say much else without seeing the radio. It is probably time to shelf the radio and check out something new.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
TNT1450
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Cobra Ball
Radio: Pace 8046, Roadtalker 40's, Teaberry Stalker IX, GE 3-5814A

Post by TNT1450 »

I agree, probably a bad cap somewhere, but it's hard to diagnose without seeing which trace burned up and looking at a schematic.

When you say it won't transmit or receive, do you hear anything at all in the speaker with the squelch off, like a little bit of white noise, or is it totally silent? Do all other functions work (lights up, switches to TX when you press the PTT, etc)?
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

:cheese: maybe you hooked up the wrong mic ?
warlock35po
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Warlock35Po
Call Sign: VE1CSP
Antenna: Beam and/2 wave Dipole
Radio: Kenwood 570 D G

Post by warlock35po »

I agree with the diagnosis. If the transformer was hot enough to not put your hand on it and you have a bad smell and maybe some very smelly discharge from the Transformer and or the large Capacitor close to it both are toast. Regards,Waelock35po
SEE LESS ADS BY DONATING $10 OR MORE...