Question Re: Handhelds and Antennas

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
dylyndream
Donor
Donor
Handle: Dream Weaver
Radio: Uniden Pro401hh

Question Re: Handhelds and Antennas

Post by dylyndream »

Hi there. I hope I'm posting this in the right place, but I wanted to ask what portable devices most beginners appreciate starting with. Currently, I have a Uniden PRO401HH, but I was wondering if there's any better ones out there? In the future when I'm more confident with my skills I'd like to learn how to set up antennas and stuff, but I'm not quite there yet haha! I've read that the Midland 75-822 is a good one, but I wanted to ask for some advice first. Thank you so much in advance! :icon_flower:
Bozo
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo The Clown
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Re: Question Re: Handhelds and Antennas

Post by Bozo »

Hey @dylyndream 😊

For beginners in CB radio, a portable device like the Uniden PRO401HH is a great start. It's compact, easy to use, and reasonably priced. However, if you're looking to explore other options, here are a few recommendations that many beginners appreciate:

Midland 75-822
This one is super popular among beginners due to its versatility and features. It offers the option to switch between handheld and mobile use, which is great for flexibility. Some key features include:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ NOAA weather alerts
⭐ Dual watch to monitor two channels
⭐ Easy battery or car adapter power options

Cobra HHRT50
The Cobra HHRT50 is another excellent handheld CB radio. It comes with a magnetic mount antenna, which helps improve range when used in a vehicle. Notable features include:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ SoundTracker system to reduce noise
⭐ High/low power switch to extend battery life

Uniden PRO501HH
A step up from your current Uniden PRO401HH, the PRO501HH offers more features and better performance:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ NOAA weather channels
⭐ Dual watch
⭐ High/low power settings

President Randy FCC
This newer model is packed with features and has received positive feedback for its performance and build quality:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ Noise blanker and ANL (Automatic Noise Limiter)
⭐ Built-in USB charger

When you're ready to explore antennas and more advanced setups, these handheld devices will still be useful, as they can be paired with larger, more efficient antennas to boost their range. Learning about antenna setup will significantly improve your overall CB radio experience, so it's a great next step once you're comfortable with the basics.

Feel free to reach out if you need more detailed advice or assistance with setting up your equipment. Enjoy your CBRT radio adventures! 👍

Donate here

Windwalker
Handle: Windwalker
Call Sign: KD8QHS
Antenna: K-40// Hustler MagMnt
Radio: Cherida S890

Post by Windwalker »

I would suggest the President Randy. It has a 1800 mah rechargeable battery. VOX, AM, FM and other options while reasonably priced. It even has a jack to plug in an external speaker mic. Plus a frequency counter in the display.
Other qualities include a few xtra things you can buy like better antennas, Mics, chargers and so on. It is basically a option full handheld cb radio. I like the dual watch and scan function.
President has a good quality product and reputation. Hands down that is the one I would buy !!
https://amzn.to/3LrM2ny

Windwalker Global
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

I would go with SSB handheld including AM/FM. They have a Magnum 1012 out there new on different websites like Our Sponsors and other CB radio shop sites. SSB is really cool to listen too. It has better range from handheld to handheld in a local setting. You can hear stations from all over the country and few foreign stations too. I am not sure if there is a mod for it that a CB shop can do or it comes with 11 meters out of the box to transmit. My preference since I like listening to SSB if I had to go with a handheld.
woodstock44
Mud-Duck Jr.
Mud-Duck Jr.
Handle: Woody

Post by woodstock44 »

Yep. I also suggest President Randy FCC
https://amzn.to/3zGGumM
:-D
dylyndream
Donor
Donor

Post by dylyndream »

Bozo wrote: July 13th, 2024, 8:00 am Hey @dylyndream 😊

For beginners in CB radio, a portable device like the Uniden PRO401HH is a great start. It's compact, easy to use, and reasonably priced. However, if you're looking to explore other options, here are a few recommendations that many beginners appreciate:

Midland 75-822
This one is super popular among beginners due to its versatility and features. It offers the option to switch between handheld and mobile use, which is great for flexibility. Some key features include:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ NOAA weather alerts
⭐ Dual watch to monitor two channels
⭐ Easy battery or car adapter power options

Cobra HHRT50
The Cobra HHRT50 is another excellent handheld CB radio. It comes with a magnetic mount antenna, which helps improve range when used in a vehicle. Notable features include:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ SoundTracker system to reduce noise
⭐ High/low power switch to extend battery life

Uniden PRO501HH
A step up from your current Uniden PRO401HH, the PRO501HH offers more features and better performance:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ NOAA weather channels
⭐ Dual watch

President Randy FCC
This newer model is packed with features and has received positive feedback for its performance and build quality:
⭐ 40 channels
⭐ Noise blanker and ANL (Automatic Noise Limiter)
⭐ Built-in USB charger

When you're ready to explore antennas and more advanced setups, these handheld devices will still be useful, as they can be paired with larger, more efficient antennas to boost their range. Learning about antenna setup will significantly improve your overall CB radio experience, so it's a great next step once you're comfortable with the basics.

Feel free to reach out if you need more detailed advice or assistance with setting up your equipment. Enjoy your CBRT radio adventures! 👍
This is all such helpful info! Thank you so much!
dylyndream
Donor
Donor

Post by dylyndream »

Windwalker wrote: July 13th, 2024, 9:26 am I would suggest the President Randy. It has a 1800 mah rechargeable battery. VOX, AM, FM and other options while reasonably priced. It even has a jack to plug in an external speaker mic. Plus a frequency counter in the display.
Other qualities include a few xtra things you can buy like better antennas, Mics, chargers and so on. It is basically a option full handheld cb radio. I like the dual watch and scan function.
President has a good quality product and reputation. Hands down that is the one I would buy !!
https://amzn.to/3LrM2ny

Windwalker Global
Thank you so much! I think the President Randy is the one I'm gonna go with!
dylyndream
Donor
Donor

Post by dylyndream »

woodstock44 wrote: July 13th, 2024, 2:41 pm Yep. I also suggest President Randy FCC
https://amzn.to/3zGGumM
I'll order it later today! Thank you!
dylyndream
Donor
Donor

Post by dylyndream »

De_Wildfire wrote: July 13th, 2024, 11:19 am I would go with SSB handheld including AM/FM. They have a Magnum 1012 out there new on different websites like Our Sponsors and other CB radio shop sites. SSB is really cool to listen too. It has better range from handheld to handheld in a local setting. You can hear stations from all over the country and few foreign stations too. I am not sure if there is a mod for it that a CB shop can do or it comes with 11 meters out of the box to transmit. My preference since I like listening to SSB if I had to go with a handheld.
This is so helpful! Thank you! I'm gonna look into this and the President Randy as well!
SEE LESS ADS BY DONATING $10 OR MORE...