SWR adjustments

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

SWR adjustments

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hey guys and gals,

I am curious to know what everyone is using these days to set the SWR (standing wave ratio) on your antennas?

I have used several different pieces of equipment, back in the day I had a "Dip Grid Meter" , Heathkit brand that I built along with a Heathkit Watt Meter. I later graduated up to a popular SWR/Watt meter. Over the years I got a MFJ model 259/269 antenna analyzer which was the "cats meow" then, borrowed not to long ago a couple different "RigExpert" analyzers but to me the cost was outrageous.

Now I am using a pair of NanoVNA's, one has SMA connectors, the other has SO-239's. I use two as sometimes one reads slightly different so I compare and equal out the readings. These to me are the most cost effective but do require a learning curve and you can save the information if hook up to a computer.

What are you using?

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
295 antenna
Handle: 2950 or 295
Antenna: patriot, Discone
Radio: Stryker 955 , Browning Mark iv

Re: SWR adjustments

Post by 295 antenna »

I use 2 things, first is the SARK100 Antenna analyzer and when everything is put inline then the MFJ-870 peak reading swr/watt meter
Keep smiling ...It makes people wonder what your up too !

American eagle SSB group : AE1577

TWRC - The world radio group : WR2950

world wide sidebanders - WWS2950
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Re: SWR adjustments

Post by De_Wildfire »

I use an old MFJ-259 and and a couple Autek Research WM-1computing meters. I am thinking of upgrading to the Comet CAA-500.Which gives me the best of both worlds.