anyway to unscramble the police

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
gravedigger4222
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

anyway to unscramble the police

Post by gravedigger4222 »

is there anyway to unscramble the police when they go to scramble the police here talk on 155.550 but sometimes go to scrambled and it sounds like they are on another channel is there a way or something to buy to hear them when they go scrambled
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

If they are on VHF still then yes, they use a inversion scrambler. You'd need to buy a descrambler. I used to see them sold in a mag called Nuts and Volts. Im not sure if they make that mag anymore?? Maybe someone else knows.
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

If they're encrypted, then no...there is no way to demodulate the signal and there never will be (at least not legally).
dud muck
Donor
Donor

Post by dud muck »

Circuit Breaker wrote:If they're encrypted, then no...there is no way to demodulate the signal and there never will be (at least not legally).
If it sounds like listening on the wrong sideband, then its inversion scrambling. speech inversion might be a good noise-toy for CB, talk to your buddy privately and **Censored**-off everybody else.

If it sounds like FM squelch-open background noise, then its AES or DES encrypted.

AES is impossible to decrypt unless your the NSA.
DES is possible to decrypt with modern computers. Maybe some of the folks on radioreference dot com have brute-forced an over-the-air DES key.
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

dud muck wrote:If it sounds like listening on the wrong sideband, then its inversion scrambling. speech inversion might be a good noise-toy for CB, talk to your buddy privately and **Censored**-off everybody else.
Yep, several years ago, before cordless phones moved up to 2.4GHz and higher, they started using speech inversion as a means to keep people with scanners from listening in on conversations. Of course, those of us that had the right equipment and spent enough time on it, could make it intelligible enough to get the gist of the conversation.
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

erus nac! lol
soldierboy404

freq hop

Post by soldierboy404 »

I heard that some of the police are starting to use the militery radios.syc encrypted with freq hop!
Idaho Annie

Nuts and Volts

Post by Idaho Annie »

Mr. Radioactive...

Just an FYI....Nuts and Volts is still around...I had a subscription last year...most of it was over my head...lol...but I do my best to be a geek girl :)

Annie
Shaft

Re: Nuts and Volts

Post by Shaft »

Tucson Annie wrote:Mr. Radioactive...

Just an FYI....Nuts and Volts is still around...I had a subscription last year...most of it was over my head...lol...but I do my best to be a geek girl :)

Annie
You like CBs, you play in a rock band. If it wasn't for your picture and the fact that you crochet, we'd think you were one of the guys.
Idaho Annie

Post by Idaho Annie »

I grew up with brothers...lol...Between my dad and my brothers, all I did was geeky science stuff and play music. My older brother bought me my first guitar and let me be in his band when I was 15....heh. Now, the crochet I got from my grandmother....

Annie :)