Considering a Scanner!

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
FAT KAT
Donor
Donor

Considering a Scanner!

Post by FAT KAT »

For a long time I have wanted a scanner. I have looked hard at the Uniden BCT8!! My question is this, Are scanners worth the trouble now, seems everyone is going digital! Also, What would be some other good choices on scanners? Price range $150- $250 :?:
Circuit Breaker
Donor
Donor
Handle: Circuit Breaker
Call Sign: K7CB
Antenna: OCF Dipole
Radio: HR2510/Yaesu FT-950

Post by Circuit Breaker »

Scanners are still entertaining, even with agencies going to digital, because Uniden and Radio Shack each have scanners capable of doing digital audio...as long as it's APCO-25. EDACS Pro-Voice can't be demodulated by any scanners, at least not yet and it's doubtful there ever will be. There are even agencies out there that use encryption on all communications. But that number is small. Most agencies, if they use encryption, only do so on certain channels where one can understand the need for secure communications (i.e. SWAT or Vice). On the downside, digital scanners aren't cheap. I just got a Uniden BC396T about a month ago and it cost close to $500.
FAT KAT
Donor
Donor

Post by FAT KAT »

Maybe I will continue to save .... Upgrade to something in the $500-$600 range!!!
MavrickMA
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by MavrickMA »

I've got a BCT8 in the Boston area and it doesn't stay quiet for very long when I've got it on. I get all kinds of traffic from local agencies. Most around here aren't digital yet and I don't know of any plans to do so in the future. I love listening to my scanner. I'm thinking of upgrading to a BCT15 because I use mine in my truck the most and its looking to be a great unit. I would definately get one!!
Dog House
Donor
Donor

Post by Dog House »

You might consider a Multi System Trunking type unit. It allows you to "follow" conversations on most digital networks now used these days by most law enforcement agencies if programed properly. My unit is an older Rat-Shack Pro-92 (no longer made) but you can often find them as well as other trunking units like the Pro-95 on E-bay for less than 100.00. My Pro-92 has worked flawlessly for many thousands of hours.