Radio Shack and Antenna Layout

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and support of shortwave radios and scanners.
Idaho Annie

Radio Shack and Antenna Layout

Post by Idaho Annie »

Hi Guys,

As most of you know I have a scanner that I'm borrowing and I just bought a shortwave radio...I'm going to take the wonderful advice from here and get a slinky antenna for the shortwave, but in the meantime I have a question.

I have a little picture I drew in Windows Paint, but I don't know how to insert it

I'll upload it to my gallery but apparently no one has access to my gallery but Bozo...I'll figure it out or ask him...

Anyway, right now I am running a long wire from the radio around my living room at ceiling level...reception isn't great. I was wondering if I took some 22 gauge insulated copper wire ran it around the room at ceiling level, out my balcony door, across the balcony railing and then in through my bedroom window and around that room if ya think I'd get better reception?

Any help is greatly appreciated as always and I'll upload the diagram of my apartment to my gallery...

Thanks!

:)
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

uh huh, that will work. night time is best for short wave.
Idaho Annie

Post by Idaho Annie »

Thanks, Bus.....you're the best!

busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

even that bare co-pp-er wire will work.just make sure it dont touch the railing. slinky antennas work good. heres some free advice :D if you put the slinky antenna outside get a brass one. yes they make them. inside one of the metal ones will be fine. rust you know. heck i forget your in arazona. what rain. :shock: the brass one cost a little more. go to ebay-click on consumer electronics- click on shortwave radio- then in the search type in shortwave antennas. there you go. all kinds of them. then if your like me will be looking at all the shortwave radios :shock: i got a kenwood r-1000 and a little grundig yaht boy. check out the grundig section. satalite 800 millinium. thats were its at . :D dont make them anymore. nice one is 400$ there nice though.
Loudmouth
Donor
Donor

Post by Loudmouth »

Hey Annie,
Shouldn't you be installing your General Lee? :D

LM
2010 Toyota Tacoma 4 Door TRD Off Road 4x4
http://www.***Censored***.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... RULES!
It's a Super Whack Pack & Dave Made World!!
Everything else is just a toy!!
Idaho Annie

Post by Idaho Annie »

Thanks, Busman...I'll go order a brass antenna asap!

And yes, Loudmouth I am just waiting for my friend to get home...he's got the power tools....

Soon, baby!