Not just at a keydown....

This section is dedicated to Keydown Competition rigs and high-performance competition base setups. If you have questions or information on how to maximize a competition setup, this is the perfect place to share and discuss!
madsage
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Radio: Magnum S45, Cobra2K

Re:

Post by madsage »

crazytruker wrote:
J-570 wrote:
Crusher wrote:I get mobiles round here that will travel 30-60 miles away just to get way up on a hilltop somewhere. especially if a base and a mobile are fighting. A guy that has a mobile beam set up way up on a hill running less power has whipped several base stations using high power output.
A friend of mine does this.... drives up a mountian to 3200 feet, set's up a davemade 2 element beam on a hitch mount we made and keys his 3x8 through it.
3200 feet elevation is a mountain? :D

haha yeah i was thinking the same thing. we've got a couple hills in arizona, one is 12,000ft around flagstaff.
I too like to get in the hills above Phoenix. 4peaks, is 6500ft. on the ridge, just hills compared to real mountains. Phoenix sits around 1500ft.
so thats about a 5000ft antenna!

933 Arizona
in the stickers
toxa
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Re:

Post by toxa »

Phaze91460 wrote:Hey Rex, One good place to make a stand is up on Spaghetti Junction on the 285 to 85N in bumper to bumper rush hour. At the top of that bridge you are higher than anything in Atlanta but the Stone Mountain. I have flattened many an ear from up there.
What about worldwide did you get him? he is very annoying. Hope some one can silance that fool.
hammers
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: ft-101ee/maco300

Re: Not just at a keydown....

Post by hammers »

J-570 wrote:Competition setups aren't just used for keydowns, many people run more extreme setups just to battle it out locally then you think. For instance many people around here are running their mobile setups at 14-16 volts just for every day talking. It doesn't have to be in a Suburban or a full size van, it could be that guy in the 2003 Ford Focus hatch back with the dual alternator setup and the M-80 driving the straight 6.... or the everyday driver SUV with a 2x8 in the back.

Around here anyway, every day is a key down from the time you get in your ride to the time you get out of it. Local truck drivers like myself are running 1x4's, 2x4's 2x6's and even 2x8's in our big trucks at 14-16 volts. It's all about how much power you push through your antenna, nobody cares about S-Units when you're main objective is to be the only one heard for 10-15 miles.

Some may say that is immature or selfish ect, but that is the hobby for most people at least where I live. If you want to just relax and talk to some folks, you do it on an out of the way channel but channel 19 is the place to lock it down. That is where all the mud ducks are, running their mouths and crying because you've been on the key for the last 10 minutes and they didn't bother to look at their map or call their shipper/receiver for directions.

It's a battlefield out there...who's side are you on?
well if some one hollars breakcheck on 19 and anouther driver does not hear it and plowes into the back of a care driven by a mom w/here 3 kides in the backseat cause someone had the town locked down on 19 that would be a tragady
[LOAD EM' LIKE BOXCARS DRIVE EM' LIKE RACECARS]
hammers
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER
Radio: ft-101ee/maco300

Post by hammers »

please respect the truck drivers who use the cb as a tool and dont key down on 19 im all 4 comp. but please not on 19 more than once i've had my **Censored** saved by someone who yell'ed breakcheck out and i slamed em' on smoke and all and got stopped just in time some things to think about 80000 lbs 75 mph and a stoped car that weighs 2500 lbs please do the math think about it as if it was your wife or girlfiend in that car or your kids the hell with the fcc but come on lets have a gentalmans agrement about 19 it makes the highways safer only if the channel's open thankyou 881 and im quiet
[LOAD EM' LIKE BOXCARS DRIVE EM' LIKE RACECARS]
721HACKSAW
Donor
Donor

Post by 721HACKSAW »

It works both ways. Please respect the local base station operators on channels 36-40 that are trying to talk on SSB. The same accepted pratice that 19 AM is for trucks applys to channels 36-40 for SSB. There is lots of band space for all of us.
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

WOW, this is a old post that went on for some time, just talking about how big everyones radio is!! I am a duck in the pond, but I tell you what, I look calm and collected on top, but I am paddling like hell underneath!!!
"flip the switch, make em itch"!!!!

Snowman
superdad
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Antenna: A99
Radio: TBerry Cobra bases

Post by superdad »

Seriously, why kill 'em on 19? Use a channel that people aren't relying on. Also don't key up on 36-40. Those home-base operators are trying to kill it up there. Use something, but not 19.... Also, what is the point of a keydown? Man oh man, send a message or something!!! Keying up and keying up and talking are 2 different things, I guess....!
Vintage Teaberry T-Dispatch Base.

Cobra 89GTL.

Quelle suprise.
dragline
Donor
Donor
Handle: Dragline
Radio: connex

Post by dragline »

hammers wrote:please respect the truck drivers who use the cb as a tool and dont key down on 19 im all 4 comp. but please not on 19 more than once i've had my gluteus maxims saved by someone who yell'ed breakcheck out and i slamed em' on smoke and all and got stopped just in time some things to think about 80000 lbs 75 mph and a stoped car that weighs 2500 lbs please do the math think about it as if it was your wife or girlfiend in that car or your kids the hell with the fcc but come on lets have a gentalmans agrement about 19 it makes the highways safer only if the channel's open thankyou 881 and im quiet

"LOAD EM' LIKE BOXCARS DRIVE EM' LIKE RACECARS]"

what about, load them legally and drive cautiously?
99WJNM
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: Wilson Trucker 5K
Radio: Connex 3300x,Cobra25

Post by 99WJNM »

i do the hill thing too i just go to round 10,000 feet or so and blanket the vally of albuquerque and surrounding areas....
dime196604
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: none
Antenna: Will1000
Radio: Omegaforce S45HP

Post by dime196604 »

Wow. This thread is like a keydown, every one shouting to say what way to do it, or how to run your radio. I got not problems with keydowns, it takes a lot of work, money, and dedication to get there, but i will never try to talk on the bowl no matter how much power i can buy. For me, listening to the bowl is harsh, every one is severely over modulated and talking gibberish. Between the lingo and distorted modulation, its like nails on a chalk board. To each their own. Power or not i would rather be loud not over modulated, and sound clear and full of audio with bass and treble, then you run massive watts if you need it.
It ain't broke till you smell the smoke