best moblie radio for ssb?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
Jiggaman

Post by Jiggaman »

you make the antenna, shoot fishing line over the top branch with the arrow, tie your rope to the fishing line, pull the rope over the top branch and back down. Tie the rope 2/3 up the antenna. Pull it up. now the top radial part of the antenna sticks totally out of the top.

In other words you tie the rope just below the coax connector and pull it up in the tree. The weight of the bottom part of the pvc pipe keeps it straight up in the air sticking out of the tree.

No climbing involved.

One good tip: leaves seem to kill the signal really bad so find an open spot in the tree for the top part to stick out of. I had it in a good spot all winter until the leaves grew in. Then it got worse so I had to move it away from the leaves..
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

That would be great jiggaman. I've learned that you can get just as good or better performance from home built things than the actual ones on the market.
mudder

Post by mudder »

yeah the galaxy 99 v is a nice radio but I hear they drift on sideband.Someone told me the old cobra 148 gtls are good 2 for sideband.
jug head

best for sideband

Post by jug head »

I have a RCI 6900F150. Does a good job
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

RCI's are good on SSB, but I use an old 148GTL, channeled out and talk skip all the time
mudder

Post by mudder »

Yeah a buddy of mines got a cobgra 148 works real good its about 20 years old but it works as good as the day he got it. :shocked: :Peace!:
Av8r1
Donor
Donor
Radio: Kenwood TS-530s

Post by Av8r1 »

I just purchased a Galaxy DX949 and the sideband is lame. Its very hard to tune em in. The am is good though.

:roll:
RC
Donor
Donor

Post by RC »

I have been in cb radio for as meny years as most of you been alive.The best radio for the money is the best radio for sideband,and the winner is RCI2970.It has it all.Works as good cold or warm.Haven't had to touch anything but theon and off switch for over three years now.The RCI2970 will also drive a amp and do it well.No distoration. Thats the radio for the money spent and for SSB. RC 2Sf137
38Special
Donor
Donor

Post by 38Special »

I might throw my old Cobra 138 and see if it'll shoot skip. It talks pretty good in the mobile.
"The Smallest Station In The Nation"!!! Makin' lots of rackit in a small area!
RC
Donor
Donor

Post by RC »

:D I like the antenna on top of the tree deal.But I also like a good ground on my system.The better the ground,the better the reception.I used pipe(steel) from the base of the tree to 4 ft.above the tree witch I placed the antenna on.I drove a 8ft.stake in the ground and used a ground strap from it to the pipe and used clamps to the tree to hold the pipe.Used RG 8 coax.With a army big stick with a ground plane kit.All works fine and all are grunded.....RC
Maverick
Donor
Donor

Post by Maverick »

I have a Galaxy 77HML now and I love it on ssb. The Galaxy 949's are the worst ssb radios ever.
Catch ya' Later Modulator!
lyrsbnge

Post by lyrsbnge »

RCI-2950--Crap,I basically don't know much about this stuff--but have talked all over the USA,Canada,1 time to Japan and a few Aussie contacts. BOZO--I can remember yakin at you a few times,i used to ALLWAYS hear ya!! Barry
lyrsbnge

Post by lyrsbnge »

RC wrote::D I like the antenna on top of the tree deal.But I also like a good ground on my system.The better the ground,the better the reception.I used pipe(steel) from the base of the tree to 4 ft.above the tree witch I placed the antenna on.I drove a 8ft.stake in the ground and used a ground strap from it to the pipe and used clamps to the tree to hold the pipe.Used RG 8 coax.With a army big stick with a ground plane kit.All works fine and all are grunded.....RC
Hey RC,Could that be the reason i am getting out so well? I run about 50 feet of RG8 to just a chain length fence post,the post is about 6" in heighth,and a 5/8ths 20 foot straight pole type anntena. I have it braced on that post TIGHT,and the post runs about 2 to 3 feet into the ground There's not many "obstacles" like trees or houses---good clear area behind my home,thats hasto be why. A few yrs. back i was in a "Lower 38 club" and many of the guys all said i was doin just as good as they were for half the setup cost? Barry
Snake Dr.

Post by Snake Dr. »

I think the President Lincoln would have to be on the List of Top SSB Mobile Radio's and there built tough to handle the road, I've talked all over on my and have had real Good Luck with It ! The AM Audio was weak with the Stock Mic. I had an Astatic 636 L on but changed over to a Astatic D104-M6B and that brought the Audio way Up on AM & SSB ! Take Care !

Snake Dr.
DX #506
SilverShadow

hmmm best mobile for SSB?

Post by SilverShadow »

well if you can afford it it would have to be a
kenwood ts-50s worthless for am but can't be beat for SSB
SkyMaster
Donor
Donor

Best Mobile for SSB

Post by SkyMaster »

My Icom 706M2G is great for SSB, no to good on AM thought. As anyone used the 95T2l much on SSB? I am waiting on one from RA now. Joey
outlawmobile

best mobile radio for ssb

Post by outlawmobile »

I would have to say the rci 2950 or 2970 depends if you want high or low power.Either way they are both excellent radios for ssb.Shawn
silver dollar

best ssb radio

Post by silver dollar »

what about a uniden grant xl ?
058hamer

Post by 058hamer »

I like my yaesu ft 757gx but i love my icom ic706mk2g. 058hamer
mudder

95t?

Post by mudder »

what about the galaxy 95 t are those good on sideband?or is the meter to tight on sideband like the 99v?
outlawmobile

best mobile radio for ssb

Post by outlawmobile »

I owned a Uniden grant for a while and it was a pretty good ssb radio,it would drift around a little on cold mornings but all in all not bad.As for the 95t I couldn't say,never owned one or knew anyone who did for that matter.Shawn
108 TM 742

Post by 108 TM 742 »

Im delighted with mt Magnum Delta Force,
Easily expanded to 25 - 30mhz and the best audio I have heard on SSB.
Easily peaks over 30w USB un tweaked. :wink:
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: 316
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950 and IC-7000

Post by 316 »

Any Rci product is going to be your best bet for SSB.
preacherman
Donor
Donor
Handle: Preacherman
Call Sign: K0EIR
Radio: Cobra 29, Lincoln, Magnum

Post by preacherman »

For a CB radio, you really can't beat the 148/grant radio's. They will drift a touch in cold weather, but what do you expect from a reference crystal? The 959/949 radios do OK as well. They drift more, but once warmed up do fine. The key for them is in the tune. It's really easy to get too carried away with the alc and then they are hard to listen to.

I would place 2510/lincolns and 2950's in the same group. Both are pretty stable and the ssb audio is very good as long as you leave limiters alone (that's true for all ssb radios). IMO, the rx on the 2510/lincoln is a bit quieter and more sensitive and the radio is a bit more user friendly when mobile. Both have small buttons you can inadvertantly hit.

You can't beat a small hf rig for ssb. Kenwood TS-50, Icom 706, Yaesu 100 or 817/857/897 all work very well. I don't think the nb works as well on these as on a 148 or lincoln, but rx and tx is great.
YMMV,
preacherman
mudder

Post by mudder »

i guess i better stay away from the galaxys then for sideband.the 95 T is a no go now.maybe ill buy an rci 2970.... :twisted: