I'm just experimenting....

Tell us what you're doing from day to day. Post your daily notes here about any radio projects that you are working on.
msged2007
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: msged2007
Antenna: Everhardt Tiger SOTT 1.5 wave, 3'
Radio: President Andy

I'm just experimenting....

Post by msged2007 »

So I've settled on this. I've got a president Andy cb for a base set up. I've tried a few different diy wire antennas, ground plane, inverted V, and now a half wave over a quarter wave j-pole. All are suspended from a high limb in an oak tree, limb is about 60'. Mobile setup is a Midland 1001z with tram version of a Wilson lil will. I turned the modulation up on this one via the RV2 pot in the radio.

With the base set up, I've talked 25+ miles to another town a few towns over, this was base to base. I've tested my mobile to base out to 10 miles and it was still sounding good. Now, if I can just figure out how to turn the modulation up on the president...... Fun, fun, fun
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: I'm just experimenting....

Post by MDYoungblood »

You have all them in one tree. J-Pole is an excellent antenna, look into a Slim Jim, has a little more gain and the radiation pattern puts the signal at a lower angle. Make sure they aren't interfering with each other too. An inverted V will be the best for skip, been using one for years. Look up CMC (common mode current) and how to make chokes for this problem.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
msged2007
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER
Handle: msged2007
Antenna: Everhardt Tiger SOTT 1.5 wave, 3'
Radio: President Andy

Re: I'm just experimenting....

Post by msged2007 »

All in the same tree, but one at a time. Ground plane was first, but it was a quarter wave. Then the inverted V. This one was interesting. I thought it'd be directional, like a dipole, but a guy in another town off the ends on a vertical said he couldn't tell a change. I'd pointed it perpendicular to him to reach another town further away. Now the jpole has been awesome. Stations I couldnt reach on the inverted V said I was coming in good with the Jpole. One was, as a crow flies, over 25 miles away. Funny you mentioned a slim Jim, that one was already on my mind. As far as CMC, I've got a diy choke about a foot below the antenna, 5 wrap coil of coax zip tied in about a 4-5" diameter. I think the ladder line I'm using is 450 ohm. I've had a lot of fun making and tuning the antennas, the radios too, but that was more looking up how to do it than anything. Having 2 radios takes a lot of guess work out of it when you can establish a baseline and tune from there. I don't have a lot of the test equipment that others have, but listening from the other end can provide a lot of information too. Thanks for your help