Brand NEW to Radio Comms

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
badbanterer
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: badbanterer

Brand NEW to Radio Comms

Post by badbanterer »

Hello,

I tried to configure a home CB set up but I clearly do not know enough to have ordered everything I need and I don't know what I don't know.

I got a CB Bearcat 9800SSB for backup communications. This is meant to be primarily for home (base) but I did not get it to set up some kind of elaborate set up. I purchased a power supply, a mount and 3 different antennas to try:
Little Will
WILSON 305-495 3500-Watt Trucker Antenna (Black)
FireStik FL3-B Three Foot FireFly Antenna With Tuneable Tip (Black)

I have a 60 V PS set to 13.8 V and 4.5 amps. Connected them using a Wilson Antenna 305-830 18' Belden Coax Cable with PL-259/FME Connectors to a Workman Double Groove CB Radio Antenna Mount W/ SO239 Stud BRV1. I used a thin solid wire to ground the Firestick and the Wilson Truckers antenna, the Little Will has its own cable.

Ok, I think those are the basics. I get SWRs greater than 3 on 1, 20, 40. Depending on the antenna, 1 might be lower than the other two channels but still over 3.

From what I see, it could be grounding and I checked everything I could without a multimeter but I think that I am missing something very basic that any one of you could spot right away from my description. Either wrong type of antenna or perhaps I need some kind of ground plane?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Jorge
badbanterer
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: badbanterer

Re: Brand NEW to Radio Comms

Post by badbanterer »

When I say I "grounded the antenna", I mean I connected the mount to the ground of the power supply.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Brand NEW to Radio Comms

Post by MDYoungblood »

You actually answered yourself in the first post, those types of antenna need a "ground plane", this is a counterpoise or the other half of the radiating element. There is a lot of info here on the forum about making your own antennas, best to search it out. In the meantime you should make a post here to get a post count started,

viewforum.php?f=89

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department