Radio for my Big Rig.

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
armrdsaint
Donor
Donor
Handle: Armrdsaint
Antenna: 102'ss
Radio: cobra 29LTD, 29 NW

Radio for my Big Rig.

Post by armrdsaint »

I would like some input on the best 10 meter radio to put in my Truck and which antenna to use. I have, and always will be. a 102 SS User. Not on a big Rig I'm thinking.
THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
LOUD-N-PROUD
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Re: Radio for my Big Rig.

Post by »

armrdsaint wrote: December 24th, 2021, 2:04 pm I would like some input on the best 10 meter radio to put in my Truck and which antenna to use. I have, and always will be. a 102 SS User. Not on a big Rig I'm thinking.
THANKS AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
@armrdsaint
Galaxy radios are my choice

For many years I was always a 102-in stainless steel whip user also. I have been a monkey made user for many many years now.

Donate here

stickman

Post by stickman »

Well depending on if you are planning on running an amp or straight radio? On my opinion can never go wrong with Connex or General Lee and an amp or straight radio as well. In my opinion
MNTrucker
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Handle: BigMike
Antenna: K40BCMAX
Radio: Cobra 200 GTL DX

Post by MNTrucker »

I only drive truck part-time on the weekends...and I slipseat, so I'm in and out every shift...but I will second Bozo's Galaxy recommendation...I've been having great luck with my Galaxy DX 959B and my Wilson 2000 mirror mount antenna. I run a daycab, so I have the antenna mounted up on the bracket on the back of the cab that has the light/air line cord hanger. That seems to be the best place where I can get a decent ground...with that setup, my SWR is right around 1.2-1.4...so I think I'm doing ok. Saturday is a pretty quiet day for radio traffic where I run...but the other guys running always say I'm Loud and Proud.
Kadokaylen
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: 127 Kaydo Kaylen
Call Sign: 127

Post by Kadokaylen »

anytone 6666
It is easily converted by pushing two buttons while powering on. videos easily found online!
Its 100 watt PEP and 60 watts RMS! Most are half that! I spent months researching and it seems to have the best ears and best clean transmit from any (export) radio.
I purchased mine from Walcott, my company paid for coax and a swr meter. Since it was over $300 I saved $50 using Walcott's promo code.. I had $220 in the radio shipped to me!

I used their LMr-240 "low low loss" coax, and I have a CHEAP Road pro antenna from a loves truck stop!
I drive a day cab KW T680 and getting anything below 7/1 swr was HARD! I replaced coax and connectors entirely and moved the antenna behind the cab. Mounted on the top grab bar, placing it over my cab completely!
I got a 1.2/1 on CH1 and 1.4/1 on CH 40! Haven't even added grounding straps yet. I have a Youtube video on my setup, just put it on youtube yesterday. Look up Baylen the dogg.. that's my channel!

In HORRIBLE conditions "as you can see in the video" I reached out to Mr 192 in the Mojave Desert from South Central KY! Not bad for a BONE stock Anytone 6666 and no amp.. using a cheap road pro antenna!

Good luck, remember Antenna Coax and the connectors are almost as if not more important then the radio itself!
127 Kaydo Kaylen KY
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

Back in the day, I had President HR2510 and they may be still around cheap but for something new, the Anytone 6666 the greatest and the latest which will last you a long time vs. getting a used radio and having something go up from use because of it's age.