Fat Boy Power Supply

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
JetSetter
Verified

Fat Boy Power Supply

Post by JetSetter »

Just going to lay it out simple. I have a 150 amp supply that does not reach my outlet. So is there a limit on the length of the 4 awg coming from the output of the amp. Or can you use a extension cord that is the same gauge as the power cord. And the extension cord would be for the amp to reach the outlet.

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

As Im sure you know that is a large power supply.
My best idea is to move closer to the plug...
Yes you want heavy gauge wire but.. Most likely you will have to get a plug and a outlet that can do 50 amps. ( in my opinion ) Check the NEMA type and rating here... [Please login or register to view this link]

If you make the cord longer you should use a plug that can handle the load. The outlet also needs to match.
Here is a calculator for ac to dc amps
[Please login or register to view this link]

So after you check out everything you need to know ( again in my opinion ) you will need to double it so you dont run the plug or outlet at full tilt causing it to burn slowly until POOF.
Honestly If you cant move closer to the plug that probably is not rated high enough anyway you will need to run a dedicated line and outlet with heavy wire to your needed location.
Remember the wires inside the wall will get hot and you wont know it. They are most likely mounted to dry wood that will burn.
Further the breaker box you showed before is probably gonna be limited to a 20 amp breaker for a single 110 volt line.. Unless you use 220 volt breakers that might only come in fixed pairs.

SO.... My final choice would be to move closer and dont run big power. The wires will get hot fast inside the wall and you dont want that.
JetSetter
Verified

Post by JetSetter »

There is no inside the wall. This outlet is 12 inches from the breaker, mounted on the concrete wall. And it is it's own circuit. And per Mfg, amp requires only 20 amp service with min 14 awg wire.

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

OK thats good it isnt in the wall.
So take and replace the outlet with one further away.
BUT to do that you will need a longer wire so a heavier wire will be needed. The breaker might only accept wire of a certain size by design. A 10 amp breaker can not take a larger wire thaat would fit in a 20 amp breaker and so on.
If it says 14 gauge and you have to use a long wire I would try to use a 10 gauge if possible. But use the biggest wire you can.
Here is a chart for wire distance and size and power capabilities.
Look at the chart half way down the page.
[Please login or register to view this link]