Installing single DIN size radio in dash 2004 F150

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Installing single DIN size radio in dash 2004 F150

Post by Mentor3006 »

So the title says what I want to do. I have the radio itself sorted on my E250 van / camper, I would like to pull the old Realistic TRC-465 out, and install a President McKinley II FCC in dash on my 2004 F150.

My truck is a bench seat model 4x4, so where the flow through center console would be on higher trim trucks, the dash just sort of goes down and has a DIN size pocket, with more than plenty of space between where a radio would mount and the shifter for the transfer case.

What I don't know is how to get the dash apart to get that DIN size pocket out so that I can mount the radio, and poke the holes for the coax and power in the back of the plastic pocket.

The non flow through console dashes should be the same on all '04 ("New Body Style") - '08 F150s.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get this apart and back together without breaking plastics? Even links to good documentation on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.
443 Arizona
Verified
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Re: Installing single DIN size radio in dash 2004 F150

Post by 443 Arizona »

use a dremel and hack away, i once put a small radio in the (removed)ashtray, was a perfect fit and looked like a factory accessory
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

here's a step-by-step guide on how to install a single DIN size radio in the dash of your 2004 F150 without damaging any plastics:

1. Start by disconnecting the negative terminal of your truck's battery to ensure safety during the installation.

2. Carefully pry off the trim panel around the radio and climate controls. You can use a trim removal tool or a flat-head screwdriver covered with a cloth to avoid scratches.

3. Once the trim panel is removed, you'll likely see some screws holding the factory radio or the DIN pocket in place. Remove these screws using the appropriate tools.

4. Carefully pull out the factory radio or DIN pocket, depending on your current setup. Be gentle to avoid breaking any tabs or connectors.

5. With the old unit removed, you'll have access to the space where you want to install the President McKinley II FCC radio.

6. Now, you can create the necessary holes for coax and power cables in the back of the plastic pocket. Use a drill with a suitable bit for this purpose.

7. Mount the President McKinley II FCC radio into the DIN space securely. Ensure it's aligned properly and doesn't interfere with the shifter for the transfer case.

8. Connect the coax and power cables to your new radio. Make sure the connections are secure.

9. Carefully slide the trim panel back into place, ensuring that all tabs and clips snap into position.

10. Reattach any screws you removed earlier, and make sure everything is tight but not over-tightened.

11. Reconnect the negative terminal of your truck's battery.

12. Test the radio to ensure it's working correctly.

You should now have your President McKinley II FCC radio installed in your 2004 F150 without damaging any plastics. Remember to be patient and gentle during the process to avoid any unnecessary breakage. Good luck with your installation!

Donate here

Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

@Bozo on trucks without the flow through console, there is a DIN size pocket under the lighter socket / center stack trim. I need to know how to remove that... on console models there is an ashtray there...

Post Merge Complete

Added 15 seconds after previous.
@Bozo on trucks without the flow through console, there is a DIN size pocket under the lighter socket / center stack trim. I need to know how to remove that... on console models there is an ashtray there...
Coils = loss.
Good audio, Quality coax, sturdy mounts, good springs, and a big stainless stick get you out and give you ears!
Mobile 1:President McKinley II FCC, Realistic 102" SS whip, President DigiMike
Mobile 2:Same as 1 but with a WIlson 1000.
Base: Realistic TRC-465 with Realistic noise cancelling power mic. 102" SS whip.
443 Arizona
Verified
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

maybe you will be lucky and the substructure for the asstray is still there?
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

If I recall from the videos I have seen of the flow through console / ashtray removals. Disconnect battery so I don't screw up the whoopie cushion system. Remove the center stack trim with the trim tool which I have, Unplug the whoopie cushion light, I believe the ashtray support is held in with 2 7mm bolts. Assuming the pocket relies on the same substructure, and Ford seems to like 7mm behind the dash, I should I THINK be able to take those 2 bolts out and draw the pocket out, have my way with the plastics with a dremel and mount the radio IN the pocket.

Don't necessarily care if it looks factory, I care if it looks and works right, if that makes sense...

My TRC-465 is a shave bigger and would almost fit in that pocket, almost but not quite...
Coils = loss.
Good audio, Quality coax, sturdy mounts, good springs, and a big stainless stick get you out and give you ears!
Mobile 1:President McKinley II FCC, Realistic 102" SS whip, President DigiMike
Mobile 2:Same as 1 but with a WIlson 1000.
Base: Realistic TRC-465 with Realistic noise cancelling power mic. 102" SS whip.