New Install and need SWR Help

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
RBaff
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

New Install and need SWR Help

Post by RBaff »

I have installed a new Uniden Bearcat 980 SSB CB radio with a 4 foot long Firestik antenna in my 2023 Jeep Gladiator. I am trying to tune my antenna in order to get low SWR readings. I installed a metal antenna mount in the bed of the Jeep up towards the cab. The mount is grounded. The Firestick antenna is installed in this mount and has the nylon bushings that shield the antenna from this ground plane. From what I've read, this is all proper. However, with tuning the antenna, the best SWR readings I can seem to get is channel 1 = 2.0, channel 19 = 1.0 and channel 40 = 2.0. I've read online that it should read more like 1.4 SWR. Am I on the right track?
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello RBaff,
Welcome to the forum. My guess is you are using the radio's SWR function to read the antenna's tune, if that is the case you are reading a good match at the middle of the band.If you are planning to do a lot of SSB talking then you might want to tune it for the upper band (shorten the antenna wire inside the shrink tubing or screw the tuning screw in some)

Yes, the stud that goes through the mount should be insulated from touching metal.

I had been thinking of using the light brackets you can get that mount to the windshield frame for an antenna mount on my (actually the wife's) Sahara but she is still opposed to it.

For now you are right!

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
RBaff
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by RBaff »

Thanks.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Also if you want the SWR lower you might try a longer antenna.

I usually ask for new members to post a intro here, [Please login or register to view this link] , so others on the forum can say "Hi".

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department